[Paraview] Crash occurs after clicking "File" then "Open"

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Mon Mar 13 16:45:58 EDT 2017

Roman,

Thanks for the error report, it provides some useful clues. It looks
like ParaView is crashing when collecting information about the
mounted volumes on your system. Do you have an external drive or
network file system mounted on the Mac Pro that is crashing? If so,
could you try to unmount it and see if ParaView runs as expected?

Barring that, are there any non-Latin characters in the names of the
volumes mounted on the Mac in question?

Thanks,
Cory

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 6:49 PM, Roman Kowch <rskowch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm running ParaView on a Mac Pro
> computer, with OS X 10.11.6. The computer does not have DBaR.
>
> Another Mac Pro I've used, with OS X 10.11.6, does not reproduce the same
> crash I'm seeing on this particular computer. Again, I could send a crash
> report if that would help.
>

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 8:30 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit
> <utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com> wrote:
>>
>> Do you have Dell Backup and Recovery (DBaR) tools installed on your
>> system? If so, the crash may be related to an issue with DBaR at Qt 5.
>> You may need to update DBaR to the latest version. See [1] for
>> details.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3526/t/19634253
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Roman Kowch <rskowch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've compiled Paraview from source, v. 5.3.0 RC3 using Qt5 for the GUI.
>> > The
>> > application however crashes on one of my computers when I simply click
>> > "File" then "Open." It seems that the crash happens when it needs to
>> > bring
>> > up the dialog for selecting a file. It also happens if I do these menu
>> > clicks:
>> >
>> > 1. "File", "Load Window Layout"
>> > 2. "File", "Load State"
>> > 3. "File", "Save State"
>> >
>> > As you can see, the crash appears to happen whenever a directory dialog
>> > is
>> > expected to appear. Should I send a crash report to diagnose this
>> > problem?
>> >
>> > I should also mention that on another computer, this problem does NOT
>> > appear
>> > for the same build of Paraview. The problem seems unique to a particular
>> > computer I'm using.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Roman

>> > Powered by www.kitware.com

>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the ParaView Wiki at:
>> > http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer
Kitware, Inc.