[Paraview] Help: How to convert a group of vtk data files at one time though ParaView

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Mar 9 15:08:11 EST 2017

Stan,

I don’t know if this functionality goes all the way back to version 4.1 (I only tried back to 4.3), but if you load your vtk data as a time series then you can similarly write them out as a time series of csv files.

Assuming that your vtk files are written as a numeric series (e.g. file001.vtk, file002.vtk, file003.vtk, …), ParaView will interpret that as a file series. When you click on the file series in the browser to open it, ParaView only actually reads in the first file. If you hit the play button, ParaView will load your files one by one as an animation over time.

If you have data in a time series like that, you can write out a series of csv files as a time series. Simply click on Save Data, specify a csv file name in the file browser, and then in the next dialog box check the box for “Write All Time Steps”. ParaView will then write out a series of numbered csv file, one per time step, which corresponds to each of your input files.

-Ken