[Paraview] Clever way to identify a ring of element?

kenichiro yoshimi rccm.kyoshimi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 07:50:16 EDT 2017

Hello Dennis,

To apply the slice filter to a doughnut polygon creates line segments
obtained by intersecting it with section planes. And then to apply the
connectivity filter to the result gives curve rings consisting of
consecutive line segments and each of rings is assigned a RegionId.
You can try the attached Status file with ParaView 5.4.

Unfortunately these elements belonging to the rings are in Cartesian
coordinate system. So, you need to convert the elements' coordinates
from Cartesian (x,y,z) to Cylindrical (r,\theta,z). At that time, the
following code would be helpful to compute a barycenter and a mean
radius of individual rings:
https://github.com/vmtk/vmtk/blob/master/vtkVmtk/ComputationalGeometry/vtkvmtkBoundaryReferenceSystems.cxx

Thanks,
yoshimi