[Paraview] Clever way to identify a ring of element?

Dennis Conklin dennis_conklin at goodyear.com
Thu Jun 15 12:58:31 EDT 2017

All,

Imagine I have a model of a doughnut.   I want to identify rings in the model.   A ring is a set of elements in an r, z, theta coordinate system which has the same radius and z_coordinate and only differs in the angular coordinate.  Of course, since trig functions are used  in calculating the radius, we are not guaranteed that the radius will be absolutely identical for each element in the ring.

Is there a clever (as in fast and easy) way to sort out elements belonging to individual rings and perhaps assign something like a ring number to them so that a threshold could be used to examine individual rings.   I'm hoping there is some clever vtk stuff that I'm not familiar with that would help with this.

Thanks for any thoughts

Dennis