[Paraview] MPI on multiple nodes

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Thu Jul 27 10:46:51 EDT 2017

Hi Mariam, Patrick,

> Yesterday, I tried the syntax you provided me, but it didn't work.

> I'm sorry but the syntax you want to use doesn't work on my servers.

> The correct syntax to run on multiple hosts is

> I think the syntax for mpiexec is:

The syntax for specifying what ranks run on which hosts is implementation
specific and will be specified differently for OpenMPI, MPICH, MVAPICH2,
IntelMPI, etc.  It will also depend on the environment you're running it in
and how it';s configured, i.e. are you running mpiexec inside a job
launched by a scheduler or are you manually configuring MPI, using tcp
everywhere, are you using host or machine files, etc.  All of these things
are going to be implementation specific.  Please consult the documentation
for the system you're using or the specific MPI implementation you're using
for the appropriate syntax to use, as it will be different for different
people, machines, environments, and configurations.

But I was not able to run: mpiexec –hosts 2 localhost 1 remotehost 1
> pvserver
>
> Can you provide some more context?  What actually happens?  What didn't
work?  Were there any error messages? etc.

Thanks

Chuck Atkins
Staff R&D Engineer, Scientific Computing
Kitware, Inc.