[Paraview] ParaView 5.4.0 Volume Rendering Inquiry

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Tue Jul 25 14:24:22 EDT 2017

Joel,

This is a known issue that we have not yet resolved:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/issues/17303

As a workaround, you can try a different volume rendering algorithm (Select
Mapper property in the Properties panel) such as "Z Sweep", "Bunyk ray
cast", or "Resample to Image".

HTH,
Cory

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Joel Kulesza <jkulesza at umich.edu> wrote:

> Colleagues:
>
> Has anyone else had problems rendering with "Volume" representation with
> the as-distributed ParaView 5.4.0 (on OS X 10.11.6)?  When I select that
> representation and "Yes" to the box regarding possibly taking a while, I
> have only a white/blank Render View.  This is the case regardless of
> coloring, colormap, or lighting options. Sometimes if I rotate the view,
> I'll see a pseudo-surface representation, but when I stop I return to a
> fully white render view.
>
> In 5.4.0, I create the Volume by first Tetrahedraliz'ing my data set and
> then selecting Volume representation.  Conversely, if I load the same data
> in 5.2.0 and select Volume directly, it plots as I would expect.  If I try
> to do the same in 5.3.0, it hangs on the render (status bar at the bottom
> gets ~80% of the way and doesn't appear to proceed further).
>
> Note that if I plot the same data in VisIt, it shows a Volume as I would
> expect and quickly enough that I don't believe impatience to be my issue
> (the data set is relatively small).
>
> Any thoughts are appreciated.
>
> Please contact me with any comments, questions, or concerns.
>
> Thank you,
> Joel
>
> Joel A. Kulesza, P.E.Ph.D. Candidate / Graduate Student Researcher
>  University of Michigan, College of EngineeringNuclear Engineering &
> Radiological Sciences Dept.2355 Bonisteel Boulevard
> Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2104, USAMobile:  +1 (734) 223-7312 <(734)%20223-7312>Email:
>  jkulesza at umich.eduHome Page:  http://www.engin.umich.edu/ners/

> opensource/opensource.html

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer