[Paraview] ParaView 5.4.0 Volume Rendering Inquiry

Joel Kulesza jkulesza at umich.edu
Tue Jul 25 12:28:50 EDT 2017

Colleagues:

Has anyone else had problems rendering with "Volume" representation with
the as-distributed ParaView 5.4.0 (on OS X 10.11.6)?  When I select that
representation and "Yes" to the box regarding possibly taking a while, I
have only a white/blank Render View.  This is the case regardless of
coloring, colormap, or lighting options. Sometimes if I rotate the view,
I'll see a pseudo-surface representation, but when I stop I return to a
fully white render view.

In 5.4.0, I create the Volume by first Tetrahedraliz'ing my data set and
then selecting Volume representation.  Conversely, if I load the same data
in 5.2.0 and select Volume directly, it plots as I would expect.  If I try
to do the same in 5.3.0, it hangs on the render (status bar at the bottom
gets ~80% of the way and doesn't appear to proceed further).

Note that if I plot the same data in VisIt, it shows a Volume as I would
expect and quickly enough that I don't believe impatience to be my issue
(the data set is relatively small).

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Please contact me with any comments, questions, or concerns.

Thank you,
Joel

Joel A. Kulesza, P.E.Ph.D. Candidate / Graduate Student Researcher
 University of Michigan, College of EngineeringNuclear Engineering &
Radiological Sciences Dept.2355 Bonisteel Boulevard
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2104, USAMobile:  +1 (734) 223-7312Email:
jkulesza at umich.eduHome Page:  http://www.engin.umich.edu/ners/