[Paraview] Paraview segfault on (orthographic) slice view

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Thu Jul 6 16:54:47 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 7:18 AM, Vogel Dorian <dorian.vogel at fhnw.ch> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've had a serious issue since last week now:
>
> Whenever I visualize a polygonal Mesh in the Slice View or orthogonal slice
>
> - in slice view: Paraview crashes as soon as I click on any of the slice
> cursors to grab it to another position.
>
> - in orthographic slice view: I can scroll in one direction on each of the
> slice views, however, when I scroll in the second direction, Paraview
> crashes.

I could not reproduce either the "Slice View" crash or "Orthographic
Slice View" crash you report in ParaView 5.4 on macOS.

> Version 5.3 compiled from source was working fine until I hit this error, I
> suspected a package upgrade to be the source of the problem, and downgraded
> Mesa (17.1.2-1 -> 17.1.1-1) and the Intel driver on laptop (17.1.2-1 ->
> 17.1.1-1) however, this did not help, and I am sure Paraview 5.3 used to
> work on those versions of mesa and Intel driver.

Judging by the stack traces you included (very helpful, by the way)
this looks more like a memory access problem within ParaView. That
problem seems to have been fixed in ParaView 5.4, though.

HTH,
Cory

> Systems:
>
> -laptop (Archlinux) using Intel IGP or Nvidia discrete GPU using open-source
> driver (DRI_PRIME). Crash can be reproduced on both GPU.
>
> -desktop (Majaro, Arch based): using Nvidia GPU, proprietary driver.
>

> Please find attached the gdb traces. I just started Paraview with each GPU,
> created a box, created a orthographic slice view, and tried to scroll.
>

> Did anyone else observe that ?
>

> Best regards,
> --
>
> Dorian Vogel