[Paraview] Coloring isocontour by the coordinates outputted from a Transform filter and some other questions

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Mon Jul 3 10:03:16 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 9:33 PM, Shuhao Wu <shuhao at shuhaowu.com> wrote:

> Hello Cory,
>
> I've been playing around a little bit more and followed your suggestion
> with using the calculator to "expose" the transformed coordinates. However,
> my understanding is that this Calculator will duplicate the memory usage
> for that coordinate and be an additional step in the filtering process,
> slowing it down.

Yes, that's true unfortunately. By the way, if you need X, Y, and Z, you
can use one Calculator filter to produce all three with the expression

iHat*coordsX + jHat*coordsY + kHat*coordsZ

This produces a 3-component array - you can then color your isosurface by
just one of the components or by the magnitude.

I have to use the Calculator filter to expose all 3 coordinates before
> using a threshold to filter for only a subset region that I want to plt,
> which results in a filtering chain as follows:
>
> ExposeX (Calculator) -> ExposeY (Calculator) -> ExposeZ (Calculator) ->
> ThresholdX (Threshold) -> ThresholdY (Threshold) -> ThresholdZ (Threshold).

This is 6 filters, which is very slow with my data set (>29M nodes in a
> rectlinear grid). Is there a way to speed this up?

You could instead use a Clip filter with Clip Type set to Box. You have to
do a little math to convert from your threshold values to the box Scale and
Position properties, but it shouldn't be too bad, and will make your
pipeline simpler and faster.

Cory

> Thanks,
> Shuhao
>

> On 2017-06-07 03:29 PM, Cory Quammen wrote:
>
>> Shuhao,
>>
>> Welcome to ParaView!
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Shuhao Wu <shuhao at shuhaowu.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to color an isocontour via the coordinates outputted from
>>> Transform filter? I'm using the Transform filter to "normalize" my
>>> coordinate systems and I want to display the isocontour colored by the
>>> normalized Y coordinates. Do I have to create yet another Calculator
>>> filter
>>> to recalculate the normalized Y value that is already calculated by the
>>> Transform filter?
>>>

>> There is currently no direct way to color surfaces by coordinate
>> value. You can, however, add a Calculator after the Transform filter
>> and simply set the expression to coordsY - no recomputation of the
>> normalization is needed. This will copy your normalized Y coordinate
>> values to a new array named "Result", and you can then color the
>> isosurface by "Result". "Result" is just the default name - you can
>> change it however you wish.
>>
>> Also: is there a way to turn off one axis on the axis grid (so turn off
>>> the
>>> Y axis display and leave only X and Z)?
>>>

>> Click the Edit button next to the Axes Grid option. Click the gear
>> icon in the top right of the dialog that appears. Under Face
>> Properties, click on the "Faces to Render" combo box. Turn off the
>> sides you do not wish to see by selecting them in the combo box.
>>
>> What about changing the interval on
>>> the axis itself (instead of incrementing by 100 as it chooses, increment
>>> by
>>> 250).
>>>

>> In the same dialog described above, check the "X Axis Use Custom
>> Labels", and you can specify exactly the labels you want. There is no
>> property to directly change the increment.
>>
>> Best,
>> Cory
>>
>> I'm pretty new to Paraview (coming from Tecplot). Please bear with me as I
>>> likely will have more question.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Shuhao
>>> Powered by www.kitware.com