[Paraview] slicing a large VTK_POLYHEDRON

Mathieu Westphal mathieu.westphal at kitware.com
Wed Jan 4 04:11:58 EST 2017

Hi

It may be a different issue than the one i'm fixing. If you can share the
segfaulting polyhedron, please do so i can take a look when i get back on
this issue ( which my not be soon, feel free to find other solutions)

Regards,

Mathieu Westphal

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 10:46 PM, Pierre Van Hauwaert <
pierre at rtech-engineering.nl> wrote:

> [...]
>> R&D Engineer
>> 21 Corporate Drive
>> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
>> Phone: 518-881-4443 <%28518%29%20881-4443>
>>
>> On Jan 3, 2017, at 10:18 AM, Mathieu Westphal <
>> mathieu.westphal at kitware.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> for your information there is a bug in the slicing of vtkPolyHedron that
>> can cause a segfault.
>> It looks very much like your error. It has yet to be corrected.
>> https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/issues/16877
>>
>> You can already test this "work in progress" branch to see if this fixes
>> your issue  :
>> https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/2304
>>
>> You could of course modify your data to tetrahedron with tetrahedralize
>> filter.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mathieu Westphal
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Pierre Van Hauwaert <
>> pierre at rtech-engineering.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am using paraview to visualise my data. I generate my data using a
>>> combination of the 2 following types (
>>> <http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/vtkCellType_8h_source.html>
>>> http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/vtkCellType_8h_source.html)
>>> VTK_VOXEL
>>> <http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/vtkCellType_8h.html#ab1d6fd1f3177b8a2a32bb018807151f8a06a70888292dc4309e42404af594fbb4>
>>> = 11
>>> VTK_POLYHEDRON = 42 I can visualize that data with parview without a
>>> problem. But, because I ended up having a segfault without any error
>>> message when slicing (Z=0) the data. I decomposed my data in separate files
>>> for each VTK_POLYHEDRON in order to investigate the problem.
>>>
>>> I found out that only the polyhedrons with the largest size were having
>>> the problem. The limit is somewhere between the 2 files:
>>> - poly-F1000-2395.vtu : working: 466 points, 928 faces
>>> - poly-F1000-2987.vtu : segfault when slicing: 546 points, 1088 faces
>>>
>>> So my guess is that there is a limit for the number of points or the
>>> number of faces that can have the polyhedron (1024 ?) if I want to be able
>>> to use the slice function.
>>>
>>> My questions are :
>>> 1) Is there actually a limitation in Paraview (VTK?) regarding the
>>> number of faces or the number of the point that the slice function can
>>> handle for a polyhedron ?
>>> 2) If there is this limitation, is there an option to remove it in
>>> Paraview ? (specific version, compilation option, etc)
>>> 3) If there is this limitation, is there any work around that exist so I
>>> am able to slice my data ? For example a different format ?
>>>

>>> I attached the data to be able to back up my statement:
>>>
>>> poly-F1000-*.vtu : files describing a polyhedron each:
>>> poly-F1000.pvd : load all those files
>>>
>>> Biggest file for which the slicing works (size, name):
>>> 34K poly-F1000-2395.vtu
>>>
>>> The 8 biggest files triggering the crash when doing a slice: (size, name)
>>> 39K poly-F1000-2983.vtu
>>> 39K poly-F1000-2935.vtu
>>> 39K poly-F1000-2988.vtu
>>> 39K poly-F1000-2931.vtu