[Paraview] slicing a large VTK_POLYHEDRON

Pierre Van Hauwaert pierre at rtech-engineering.nl
Tue Jan 3 16:46:27 EST 2017

Hi Mathieu and Thomas,

Thank you for the suggestions.

1) I tried the tetrahedralize filter on my data but I did not get the
results I was expecting. I have a polyhedron which is not convex
(https://postimg.org/image/9s3egl8rz/) and the filter fill the gap as
you can see here (https://postimg.org/image/5u1nt6d2h/) and it is not
what I was expecting. Indeed, the initial purpose of the slice was to
visualize the hole.

2) I tried this fix:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/2088
<https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/2088>
only modifying the 2 files (*Common/DataModel/vtkPolyhedron.cxx*
<https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/2088/diffs#15fe983b62f8470f9429f461e8b010d03b476c0c>
*Common/Core/vtkSetGet.h) *
<https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/2088/diffs#6df1a223bec663530f25d2d214b6b11611fb9cdf>
And compile VTK alone. I used a python script (activating the python VTK
wrapping) to do the test with the vtkCutter function but I ended having
the same exact issue (segfault, no error message) with only the
polyhedron that have more than 1024 faces. I am not sure I should get
the same results if I manage to compile paraview. When I will manage I
will get back to you.

Thanks,

Pierre