[Paraview] Making a package for Nix system

Yves Rogez yves.rogez at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr
Fri Feb 10 03:44:49 EST 2017

Hi Mathieu :-)

yes it's for the case of multi-server (actually single client) option. I
will get the source from the git repository master a give it another try.

OK for the debug, I can compile it again in debug but it takes a long
time on my little test laptop so I was wondering maybe some other tricky
test on the release version ;-) I will let the debug build run this
week-end and send a quick report.

By the way, do you plan to support nix packages build in the future for
Paraview ? The problem I will encounter now is that Paraview depends on
video card driver OpenGL libs so that to get good performances, I will
break the nix packages philosophy of being independent from the
operating system specific kernel...

Thanks for the answer!

Yves

Le 10/02/2017 à 03:48, Mathieu Westphal a écrit :
> Hi Yves !
>
> Do you happen to use the multi-clients/multi-server option ? we
> recently corrected a bug that sound like yours, will be fixed in
> ParaView 5.3.
> In any case, you may want to try with the last version of paraview master.
>
> In order to debug, the first step would be to build ParaView in Debug,
> and then run it with a debuger, in order to get a backtrace of the
> segfault.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Mathieu Westphal
>
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 6:09 PM, Yves Rogez
> <yves.rogez at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr
> <mailto:yves.rogez at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr>> wrote:
>
>     Dear Paraview team,
>
>     we are currently studying the opportunity of migrating our
>     computing grid environment from "module" system to "nix" packaging
>     system (https://nixos.org/). In that purpose, I'm trying to
>     compile and pack Paraview 5.2.0 with its dependencies with nix
>     packages (https://nixos.org/nixos/packages.html
>     <https://nixos.org/nixos/packages.html>).
>
>     To do so, I first installed nixos on a local laptop and give it a
>     try. The main issue I encountered was to update my nixos kernel
>     with native videocard drivers but OK, that's done. Then using the
>     attached nix package script (a slight evolution on paraview 4.0.1
>     existing one), I could have packetized 5.2.0 succesfully and it
>     runs very well.
>
>     However, I still get an error when I'm trying to use MPI
>     functionality. The MPI itself with parallelism works, as I can run
>     a auto-MPI session without problem. The issue occurs when
>     *servermanager.Disconnect() function is called => Seg fault* with
>     no more info... The bad thing is that the Disconnect function is
>     called every time I would like to connect to a server (to
>     disconnect the built-in one). This is also the case when passing
>     the pvserver in command-line argument.
>
>     Do you have an idea of the cause of this seg fault ? Maybe could
>     you help me find any useful test to debug this ?
>
>     Thanks in advance for your support,
>
>     Best regards,
>
>     Yves
>

>     --
>     Yves Rogez
>
>     *IPAG*
>     /Institut de Planétologie et d'Astrophysique de Grenoble /

>     <http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html>
>
>     Please keep messages on-topic and check the ParaView Wiki at:
>     http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView <http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView>
>
>     Search the list archives at:
>     http://markmail.org/search/?q=ParaView
>     <http://markmail.org/search/?q=ParaView>

Yves Rogez

*IPAG*
/Institut de Planétologie et d'Astrophysique de Grenoble /
Bat D de Physique - BP. 53 - 38041 Grenoble - FRANCE

tel : +33 (0)4 76 63 52 80
lab : +33 (0)4 76 63 57 60