[Paraview] PVSB 5.2: missing modules and plugins after "make install"

Michel Rasquin michel.rasquin at colorado.edu
Thu Feb 9 05:08:36 EST 2017

Hi everyone,

I could successfully build and run (to some extend) PVSB 5.2 (thanks Andy and Chuck for your help!) but I have now noticed an issue with the installation of the PVSB project.  Concretely, "make install" in the PVSB 5.2 build directory does not install properly all the expected modules and plugins (SurfaceLIC.so being a good example).

All plugins are correctly built and available in my build directory "my_build_directory/install/lib/paraview-5.2" (for instance libSurfaceLIC.so)
However, there are missing in my install directory "my_install_directory/lib/paraview-5.2" after "make install".

When I connect the pvserver located in "my_install_directory/bin/pvserver" to my client, only one plugin is present in the plugin manager on the remote side under the tools tab, whereas the client include the usual list. The same operation using the pvserver located in "my_build_directory/install/bin/pvserver" shows all expected plugins on both the client and server side.

Andy proposed to run a small test which illustrates further the issue with a missing module:

> cat test.py
from paraview.simple import *
w = Wavelet()
Show()
Render()

> mpirun -np 2 my_build_directory/install/bin/pvbatch -display :0.0 test.py

returns normally whereas pvbatch from the install directory returns this error:

> mpirun -np 2 my_install_directory/bin/pvbatch -display :0.0  test.py
Error: Could not import vtkCommonComputationalGeometry
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test.py", line 1, in <module>
    from paraview.simple import *
  File "my_install_directory/lib/python2.7/site-packages/paraview/simple.py", line 43, in <module>
    from paraview import servermanager
  File "my_install_directory/lib/python2.7/site-packages/paraview/servermanager.py", line 53, in <module>
    from paraview import vtk
  File "my_install_directory/lib/python2.7/site-packages/paraview/vtk/__init__.py", line 7, in <module>
    from paraview.vtk.vtkCommonCore import *
  File "/my_install_directory/lib/python2.7/site-packages/paraview/vtk/vtkCommonCore.py", line 9, in <module>
    from vtkCommonCorePython import *
ImportError: No module named vtkCommonCorePython

The current sha key of my PVSB 5.2 source directory is 4ec37480a6f1ad39c9aa3168c2f0e6a1b0147b16 (Jan 31).
Please let me know if I am missing something here.
Note also that this "make install" issue is not present for the PV 5.2 project but only for the PVSB 5.2 project.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Michel