[Paraview] Uncomplete display of large unstructured grid

Cornelis Bockemühl cornelis.bockemuehl at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 23:11:56 EDT 2017

Hello all,

With some self-written plugin I am generating rather large "unstructured
grids". With a model with something more than 700'000 blocks I realized
that on my Lenovo notebook I did not get a complete display of all the
blocks, so I made tests with subsets of the data. It turns out that with
less than 1000 blocks everything works fine, with 20'000 blocks there are
already some "reductions" and finally with the full model even more: see
the attached Powerpoint with screenshots (plus details about my system and
the Paraview version).

My question is now if there is possibly some kind of "graphic card
overflow" happening? I could so far not test the software with the same
model on another computer.

And whatever the reason is: is there something that I can do about it?

It is to say that the unstructured grid is a bit "unconventional" by the
fact that often adjacent blocks do not have common edges and points,
sharing thus only common partial faces. With this one possibility would be
that Paraview cannot properly carry out certain optimizations that are
relying on the fact that neighbor blocks "normally" (??) share a face,
edges and points. However I do not know whether this is an issue or not!?
In this case it might be an option to change the entire data set to a set
of just cubes that happen to touch each other.

Regards, Cornelis

--
Cornelis Bockemühl
Basel, Schweiz