[Paraview] Issues with 2.5D data in Paraview

Giuseppe Bilotta giuseppe.bilotta at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 18:50:08 EDT 2017

Hello all,

I'm trying to use ParaView to visualize a dataset (produced by some
internal software) that represents a form of "2.5"-dimensional data:
basically, a 2D grid of heights (plus other optional attributes).

My original approach was to write out a set of VTS files with an
explicit definition of the resulting three-dimensional mesh. However,
this doesn't really scale well to large meshes and/or long time
series, so I've been looking into alternative solutions.

Since all the relevant data is already available in binary format
(think simple dumps of linearized arrays), I've been looking into
taking advantage of XDMF, with mixed results.

First of all, since the 2D grids have regular spacing, my idea was to
define the topology as ORIGIN_DXDY, which worse fairly well until I
realized that recent ParaView versions actually map that to a grid in
the YZ space, which somewhat ruins the next step.

The next step was to use “Warp by Scalar” using the Heights scalar for
warping the points, but this doesn't actually work because warping by
scalar wraps in the Z direction (I've tried specifying a different
normal, with no luck even with the relevant box checked).

An attached sample XDMF file (no heavy data) is attached. The obvious
question is: am I doing something wrong, or did I hit some suble bugs
in ParaView?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta