[Paraview] build pv5.3 on windows 10 with visual studio 15 2017

Claire Guilbaud claire.guilbaud at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 15:45:46 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I'm struggling to launch paraview build on the last version of visual
studio (15.1 26407.3).
I follow this documentation
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView:Build_And_Install.

I use Qt 5, and just enable paraview python (miniconda2).

I tried first to build with the last Qt 5 version (5.8.0), it failed due to
const expr error in qt (it's a known issue). So I switch to Qt 5.6.2.

I follow the instructions from the documentation: set path variable, modify
environment variable in the configuration properties for paraview project.
The Debug generation failed: qt and paraview don't have the same debugging
level …

The RefWithDebInfo generation succeeds. But I'm not able to launch paraview
(from visual studio - start without debugging or from file explorer).
There are missing symbols in paraview.exe :
?toLatin1 at QString@@QEGBA?AVQByteArray@@XZ (same with toLower, toUtf8).

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix it ?

For information:
- I don't use the cmake capabilities of visual studio: I use cmake-gui,
configure, and generate.Then I open the paraview solution.
- I try with Qt4 version, it failed. I reinstall Qt several times.
- All my environment is in french

Thanks for help.

Claire