[Paraview] capability to read data from big-endian machine

Hedieh Ebrahimi hedieh.ebrahimi at amphos21.com
Wed Apr 12 10:38:06 EDT 2017

Dear all,

When trying to read data generated on supercomputer (big-endian), the
ParaView PFlotran-reader fails. This is because the data generated on the
supercomputer is big-endian whereas my machine (Intel machine) uses
little-endian.

The workaround to fix this is to go to following directory:

Utilities/VisItBridge/databases/PFLOTRAN
and to the following file : avtPFLOTRANFileFormat.C

In the functions avtPFLOTRANFileFormat::GetVar(...) and
avtPFLOTRANFileFormat::GetVectorVar(...)
there are the following if-statement TWO TIMES IN BOTH FUNCTIONS, so 4
modifications are needed:

        if (H5Tequal(intype, H5T_NATIVE_FLOAT) ||
            H5Tequal(intype, H5T_NATIVE_DOUBLE) ||
            H5Tequal(intype, H5T_NATIVE_LDOUBLE) )

Replace ALL 4 above  OCCURRENCES by

        if (H5Tequal(intype, H5T_NATIVE_FLOAT) ||
            H5Tequal(intype, H5T_NATIVE_DOUBLE) ||
            H5Tequal(intype, H5T_NATIVE_LDOUBLE) ||
            H5Tequal(intype, H5T_IEEE_F32BE) ||
            H5Tequal(intype, H5T_IEEE_F64BE) )

The problem is I have to compile paraview from source for each update or on
every machine. I was wondering whether this capability to read data from
big-endian machine could be included.
I´d appreciate your answer,

Hedieh Ebrahimi
Consultant <https://es.linkedin.com/pub/hedieh-ebrahimi/50/229/8a7>