[Paraview] Issues Opening Tecplot *.dat File(s)

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Tue Apr 11 17:58:58 EDT 2017

Zach,

With recent changes to ParaView (March 15, 2017), I was able to "open"
the file in the most recent development version of ParaView without
getting stuck in an infinite loop, but I did get the following
warnings:

Warning: In /Users/cory.quammen/src/paraview/VTK/IO/Geometry/vtkTecplotReader.cxx,
line 1795
vtkTecplotReader (0x1350d2c00):
/Users/cory.quammen/Desktop/oneram6-prism_tec_boundary.dat; Tecplot
zone record parameter 'SOLUTIONTIME' is currently unsupported.
Warning: In /Users/cory.quammen/src/paraview/VTK/IO/Geometry/vtkTecplotReader.cxx,
line 1789
vtkTecplotReader (0x1350d2c00):
/Users/cory.quammen/Desktop/oneram6-prism_tec_boundary.dat; Tecplot
zone record parameter 'STRANDID' is currently unsupported.
ERROR: In /Users/cory.quammen/src/paraview/VTK/IO/Geometry/vtkTecplotReader.cxx,
line 1902
vtkTecplotReader (0x1350d2c00):
/Users/cory.quammen/Desktop/oneram6-prism_tec_boundary.dat: The record
type 0.317283460316E+02 found in the file is unknown.

The read fails, but hopefully this tells you what is going on.

HTH,
Cory

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Zach Davis <zdavis at pointwise.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> That link doesn't seem to work either :(
>
> For me, those terms were apparently out of date with what the reader was
> expecting. And so when it hit those tokens it just froze instead of jumping
> out and throwing an error. It's possible that you have other tokens(i.e.
> options) that are setting this off.  It could also be something else, but
> the scenario is very close to what I was dealing with.  Is the program that
> is writing the Tecplot file up-to-date with the newest Tecplot file format?
>
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Zach Davis <zdavis at pointwise.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Christopher,
>>
>> Thanks for you input.  Apologies if the link wasn’t working for you.  At
>> least one person on the mailing list was able to download a copy
>> successfully.  I don’t know if this will help, but you might try seeing if
>> the following link works any better:
>>
>> https://pointwiseenterprise.sharefile.com/d-sd1c1d4e9eeb450e8
>>
>> I did a preliminary search for the terms “f=point” and “c=black” in my
>> text editor.  It doesn’t seem to have found either entries; though, it does
>> appear it’s stuck in a loop of some sort.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Zach Davis
>> Pointwise®, Inc.
>> Sr. Engineer, Sales & Marketing
>> 213 South Jennings Avenue
>> Fort Worth, TX 76104-1107
>>
>> E: zach.davis at pointwise.com
>> P: (817) 377-2807 x1202
>> F: (817) 377-2799
>>

>> On Apr 11, 2017, at 4:32 PM, Christopher Neal <chrisneal at snumerics.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Zach,
>>
>> I had a similar issue recently. I can't seem to download the file (it's
>> giving a 403 server error that I don't have permission to download).  The
>> kitware team found that the Paraview Tecplot reader would get into an
>> infinite loop if it had trouble reading some of the header information. In
>> my case it was a line that contained 'f=point c=black' which was causing the
>> issue.
>>
>> The issue was resolved but the fix isn't in the current version. See the
>> Gitlab issue: https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/issues/17293
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Zach Davis <zdavis at pointwise.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Tuesday, 11 April 2017
>>>

>>> All,
>>>
>>> I’m encountering a problem in which ParaVIew seems to freeze when
>>> attempting to load a Tecplot *.dat file.  An example of a compressed *.dat
>>> file that’s causing this issue can be downloaded here (~4.4MB).  I’m using
>>> ParaVIew 5.3.0-219-g24f5a44 under macOS 10.12.4.  Note, the file fails to
>>> load under ParaView version 4.4 as well.  I’ve compressed the *.dat file
>>> with gzip for transmission—please unzip it prior to attempting to reproduce
>>> the problem in ParaView.  Uncompressed it's a 16MB file, and shouldn’t take
>>> very long to load…  Any ideas what might be the issue?  Is there a problem
>>> with the file’s format, or is ParaView the culprit?

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer
Kitware, Inc.