[Paraview] Paraview v5.1.2: SurfaceLIC & software rendering issues

Albina, Frank frank.albina at sauber-motorsport.com
Thu Sep 29 12:25:25 EDT 2016

Ken,

I have included as attachment to this email the script I modified to reproduce the issue reported earlier with our generic F1 car. You will find the following structure once you have unpacked the zip archive:

Benchmark/
|-- Binaries
|   `-- ParaView-5.1.2
|-- Data
|   `-- shuttle-surf
|       |-- shuttle-surf_0_0.vtp
|       |-- shuttle-surf_0_0.vtp.md5-stamp
|       |-- shuttle-surf_1_0.vtp
|       |-- shuttle-surf_1_0.vtp.md5-stamp
|       |-- shuttle-surf_2_0.vtp
|       |-- shuttle-surf_2_0.vtp.md5-stamp
|       |-- shuttle-surf_3_0.vtp
|       |-- shuttle-surf_3_0.vtp.md5-stamp
|       |-- shuttle-surf_4_0.vtp
|       |-- shuttle-surf_4_0.vtp.md5-stamp
|       |-- shuttle-surf_5_0.vtp
|       |-- shuttle-surf_5_0.vtp.md5-stamp
|       |-- shuttle-surf_6_0.vtp
|       |-- shuttle-surf_6_0.vtp.md5-stamp
|       |-- shuttle-surf_7_0.vtp
|       `-- shuttle-surf_7_0.vtp.md5-stamp
`-- ParaView-5.1.2
    |-- LoResImages
    |-- runShuttle.sh
    `-- shuttleBenchmarkSurfaceLIC.py

The Data directory contains all surface files used for performing rendering. Binaries/ParaView-5.1.2 contains the installation of ParaView. This is where I have extracted the ParaView binaries I downloaded last week from the paraview.org site (ParaView-5.1.2-Qt4-OpenGL2-MPI-Linux-64bit.tar.gz).

The benchmark is started using script “runShuttle.sh”. It will use pvbatch to run the python script shuttleBenchmarkSurfaceLIC.py using OSMesa with llvm-pipe and swr-avx2. Both options are run using 1 core, 2 cores and 3 cores. Generated images are stored respectively in folder LoResImages.

With this script, I got the same issues as reported earlier, i.e. the --mesa-llvm on 1 core works well, on 2 cores the background is black instead of white, the --mesa-swr-avx2 option delivers a corrupted image:

mesa-llvm 1 core:
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D21A7E.C927DCC0]
mesa-llvm 2 cores:
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D21A7E.C927DCC0]

mesa-swr-avx2 1 core:
[cid:image003.jpg at 01D21A7E.C927DCC0]
The plaftorm I used to generate these images is:

OpenSuSE 12.3
Linux 3.7.10-1.45-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT x86_64 GNU/Linux
2 x 10 core Intel Xeon ES-2650 @ 2.30GHz

Best regards,

Frank.