[Paraview] Building ParaView v5.1.2 on Linux from source with support for GPU and SWR.

Albina, Frank frank.albina at sauber-motorsport.com
Mon Sep 26 05:17:14 EDT 2016

Dear all,
after having downloaded last week the latest ParaView release (v5.1.2) for Linux, I have found out that the binary version has the following folder structure in lib/paraview-5.1:
mesa-llvm
|-- libGL.so -> libGL.so.1
|-- libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.5
|-- libGL.so.1.5
|-- libOSMesa.so -> libOSMesa.so.8
|-- libOSMesa.so.8 -> libOSMesa.so.8.0.0
`-- libOSMesa.so.8.0.0
mesa-swr-avx
|-- libGL.so -> libGL.so.1
|-- libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.5
|-- libGL.so.1.5
|-- libOSMesa.so -> libOSMesa.so.8
|-- libOSMesa.so.8 -> libOSMesa.so.8.0.0
`-- libOSMesa.so.8.0.0
mesa-swr-avx2
|-- libGL.so -> libGL.so.1
|-- libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.5
|-- libGL.so.1.5
|-- libOSMesa.so -> libOSMesa.so.8
|-- libOSMesa.so.8 -> libOSMesa.so.8.0.0
`-- libOSMesa.so.8.0.0
Which is an elegant way of providing a binary package for GPU and non-GPU architectures at the same time.
Hence my question: How do I build ParaView v5.1.2 from source to have the same folder structure so that I have one version for GPU and software rendering? I understand that swr-avx(2) should be also available from Mesa v12.x. Is there anything I'd need to consider / take care of before building the different OSMesa libraries with LLVM / OpenSWR?
Frank Albina