[Paraview] Big data set very slow to load (over 500Mb, Gb...)

Joachim Pouderoux joachim.pouderoux at kitware.com
Thu Nov 24 15:17:10 EST 2016

Hi Cindy!

Could you please give us more information about the type of dataset you are
working with (structured or unstructured, multiblock or not) and the total
number of points & cells of those models?
Is your input stored in a paralle data format (eg.PVT*, xdmf, hdf5 etc)?
If not, and data is unstructured, there is pretty good chances that all the
data will be loaded only on the first rank of your server and then
processing only performed with real data on this rank (other will just pass
through empty dataset). You can check if data is distributed by applying
the "Process Id Scalars" and color the grid with this field, it will show
data partitionning over the processors (1 color per rank). If it is all
blue, data is only on first rank, bad news.
In this last case, you can indeed use D3 to redistribute the data over all
the processors, then all processors (apply Process Id Scalars) should show
better result.
Problem is that D3 takes time to perform and if your data is temporal, it
will be run at every timestep!

Hope it helps!

A+ et bon courage :)

Joachim

*Joachim Pouderoux*, PhD

*Technical Expert - Scientific Computing Team*
*Kitware SAS <http://www.kitware.fr>*