[Paraview] RAW (binary) file import issues

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Tue Nov 22 17:33:06 EST 2016

I believe Visual studio 2010 does not properly handle file seeks/etc beyond
32 bit even on 64 bit builds. If you are using VS 2010 or earlier that is
possibly the issue. I believe it is fixed in VS 2013 and later.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 5:11 PM, Moreland, Kenneth <kmorel at sandia.gov>
wrote:

> Although we have certainly run into issues with communicating large
> messages, I’m not sure this is the issue with MPI-I/O. File sizes and
> linear offsets use a type MPI_Offset, which according to the specification
> should be large enough to hold the size of any file supported by the file
> system. Although it is true that creating the 3D subarray uses 32-bit
> indices, those are for each of the separate dimensions, and 2000 falls well
> below that limit.
>

> Besides, it looks like that error happens when checking an ifstream
> object, so it looks like the reader is bypassing the MPI-I/O path anyway.
>

> I would follow Berk’s suggesting of looking into the filesystem before
> diving into the guts of MPI-I/O.
>

> -Ken

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
518 371 3971

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.