[Paraview] RAW (binary) file import issues

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Nov 22 17:11:02 EST 2016

Although we have certainly run into issues with communicating large messages, I’m not sure this is the issue with MPI-I/O. File sizes and linear offsets use a type MPI_Offset, which according to the specification should be large enough to hold the size of any file supported by the file system. Although it is true that creating the 3D subarray uses 32-bit indices, those are for each of the separate dimensions, and 2000 falls well below that limit.

Besides, it looks like that error happens when checking an ifstream object, so it looks like the reader is bypassing the MPI-I/O path anyway.

I would follow Berk’s suggesting of looking into the filesystem before diving into the guts of MPI-I/O.

-Ken