[Paraview] GNOME is hanging with co-processing ...

Ufuk Utku Turuncoglu (BE) u.utku.turuncoglu at be.itu.edu.tr
Wed Nov 2 05:22:40 EDT 2016

Hi,

I am trying to run a parallel code with co-processing support but when i
run the code, it is hanging without opening x-window and writing the png
files. In this case, i could not use or interact with any other app with
GUI such as firefox, terminal etc. It seems that it affects the GNOME.
On the other hand, if i connect to machine remotely via ssh and kill the
MPI process than the machine back to the normal and i could interact
with terminal and other apps with GUI nornally. The system has Centos
(7.1) operating system along with ParaView 5.2.0RC3 (BTW, i compiled
ParaView from source). In this case, i am just running the code with
standard mpirun command as follows,

mpirun -np 16 ./main.x

to find the source of the problem, i included strace command to the
mpirun like following

mpirun -np 16 strace ./main.x

and it runs without any problem and produces desired output. So, at this
point i am little bit confused and i just wonder that is there anybody
else had similar issue before. Strace somehow solves the problem but i
don't know how. It seems that it is related with the system because same
code runs without any problem under MacOS. I also compiled code with
ParaView 5.1 and it also hangs. The standard allinputsgridwriter.py is
working without any problem and writes the data to disk. So, somehow it
is related with the system (probably GNOME) or the ParaView installation.

Another question is that is there any way to prevent opening x-window
and still getting advantage of having GPU in this case? The code only
writes the result in png format. So, i need installation for headless
server (without any screen attached) but i am not sure. I think that it
requires special configuration options for the ParaView installation.
So, please let me know also about those special options.

Regards,

--ufuk