[Paraview] Errors while reading Ensight files in parallel

Paluszek, Lukasz lukasz.paluszek at airbus.com
Fri Mar 18 06:18:38 EDT 2016

Dear All,

I noticed that the Ensight reader encounters problems when running the pvserver on more than ~12 processes. Depending on the code which generated the ensight file, Paraview either crashes while reading the file or reads the geometry but messes up the variable arrays. I carried out test on the standard naca.bin.case, which comes with the tutorial data. I noticed that the ensight reader already distributes the data over the processes and this might be causing the issue. When opening the naca.bin.case with 4, 6, 8 or 10 processes I get no errors. If I start the pvserver with 12 processes Paraview hangs while reading the file and reports an error:

ERROR: In /home/caldron-b/paluszek/linux/Software/Paraview/v5.0.0/ParaView-v5.0.0-source/VTK/Common/DataModel/vtkDataSet.cxx, line 435
vtkStructuredGrid (0x1faa690): Point array DENS with 1 components, only has -260 tuples but there are 0 points
Strangely it works with 13 parallel processes but I get errors with 14 process and again success with 15 ranks and failure with 16.

The second test case was carried out on the disk_out_ref.ex2 converted to ensight in Paraview. The ensight writer seems to be having issues on its own as is it does not write the *.case file, which is the main ASCII file containing metadata. Nevertheless it was easy to generate one based on the naca.bin.case. With the converted disk_out_ref I can read the ensight format with up to 12 parallel processes without any issues. With more ranks I am still able to read in the file but the variable arrays become scrambled.

With my other industrial enisght files I get either an error while reading the file (log attached) or I read in the files but with scrambled variables. I am using Paraview v5.0.0 compiled from source with system libraries. I got the same issues with version 4.3 and 4.4 and openmpi, mpich and platform mpi so I am assuming that this is not related with my build. Nevertheless, I would appreciate if anyone could reproduce this behavior.

Regards,
Lukasz

[Beschreibung: Beschreibung: Description : cid:image001.png at 01CF0B8F.DB7831F0]
Łukasz Paluszek
Airbus Helicopters
Aerodynamics Department (ETGA)
86607 Donauwörth
Germany
Tel.: +49 (90) 671 8231
Fax.: +49 (90) 671 9122
Lukasz.Paluszek at airbus.com<mailto:Lukasz.Paluszek at airbus.com>

AIRBUS HELICOPTERS DEUTSCHLAND GmbH

Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: Donauwörth

Registergericht / Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates / Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Guillaume Faury

Geschäftsführung / Board of Management: Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender / CEO; Johannes Kleidorfer; Dr. Klaus Przemeck; Martin Schübel; Stefan Thomé

The information in this e-mail is confidential. The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.
Airbus cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this e-mail as it has been sent over public networks. If you have any concerns over the content of this message or its Accuracy or Integrity, please contact Airbus immediately.
All outgoing e-mails from Airbus are checked using regularly updated virus scanning software but you should take whatever measures you deem to be appropriate to ensure that this message and any attachments are virus free.