[Paraview] problem with ParaView build

Mark Bartelt mark at cacr.caltech.edu
Fri Mar 4 19:23:51 EST 2016

G'day ...  This is my first experience with ParaView, so apologies
if my problem has been reported before.  (I looked through archived
mailing list items, but didn't notice anything.)  Anyway ...

I'm trying to build ParaView from source on a Linux system (RHEL5).
I grabbed ParaView-v4.4.0-source.tar.gz and installed prerequisites
that it needed which weren't already on the system (and some of the
prerequisites had prerequisites of their own), but eventually I had
gotten to the point where I was ready to use "ccmake" to configure
things and generate a makefile.  That all went OK (the makefile is
nearly ten thousand lines long; yow!), but then when I started the
"make", it hit a snag almost immediately.  The first message that
it emitted said ...

	Scanning dependencies of target ParaViewData

... and then it started downloading various .png files.  The first
of these went fine ...

Generating /panfs/ds08/support/INSTALL/ParaView/ParaView-v4.4.0-source/build/ExternalData/Testing/Data/Baseline/pqCoreBasicApp.png
-- Fetching "http://midas3.kitware.com/midas/api/rest?method=midas.bitstream.download&checksum=b10bd3f7136ef809f1df7ad5c94c553f&algorithm=MD5"
-- Fetching "http://www.paraview.org/files/ExternalData/MD5/b10bd3f7136ef809f1df7ad5c94c553f"
-- Downloaded object: "/panfs/ds08/support/INSTALL/ParaView/ParaView-v4.4.0-source/build/ExternalData/Objects/MD5/b10bd3f7136ef809f1df7ad5c94c553f"

... as did the second through sixth.  But when it tried to grab the
seventh one, it had a problem:

Generating /panfs/ds08/support/INSTALL/ParaView/ParaView-v4.4.0-source/build/ExternalData/Testing/Data/Baseline/SciberQuestToolKit-TestFieldTracer-IntersectColor.png
-- Fetching "http://midas3.kitware.com/midas/api/rest?method=midas.bitstream.download&checksum=175bb7beec559a9c3c31fbcdba7fc629&algorithm=MD5"
-- Fetching "http://www.paraview.org/files/ExternalData/MD5/175bb7beec559a9c3c31fbcdba7fc629"
CMake Error at /panfs/ds08/support/INSTALL/ParaView/ParaView-v4.4.0-source/CMake/ExternalData.cmake:749 (message):
  Object MD5=175bb7beec559a9c3c31fbcdba7fc629 not found at:
    http://midas3.kitware.com/midas/api/rest?method=midas.bitstream.download&checksum=175bb7beec559a9c3c31fbcdba7fc629&algorithm=MD5 ("unsupported protocol")
    http://www.paraview.org/files/ExternalData/MD5/175bb7beec559a9c3c31fbcdba7fc629 ("HTTP response code said error")

Digging a bit deeper, I find that if I try to do a "wget" of any of
those midas3.kitware.com URLs, what gets downloaded is a file which
contains a message like ...

 {"code":"-150","data":"","message":"The bitstream does not exist or you do not have the permissions","stat":"fail"}

However, if I do a "wget" of the www.paraview.org URLs, those all do
in fact succeed in downloading the .png file, until that seventh one;
for that, I get this:

--2016-03-04 16:09:39--  http://www.paraview.org/files/ExternalData/MD5/175bb7beec559a9c3c31fbcdba7fc629
Resolving www.paraview.org... 66.194.253.19
Connecting to www.paraview.org|66.194.253.19|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2016-03-04 16:09:40 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

So has that file inadvertently been changed to be nonreadable by the
www.paraview.org server?

Thanks for whatever suggestions any of you might have ...

Mark Bartelt
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, California  91125

626 395 2522