[Paraview] xdmf + hdf5 error in Paraview

Jason Fleming jason.fleming at seahorsecoastal.com
Fri Mar 4 11:10:24 EST 2016

Are the connectivity indices numbered starting from zero or staring from
one? Paraview numbers your mesh vertices starting from zero, and if your
element connectivity refers to vertices numbered from 1:n, it will totally
scramble your connectivity when Paraview displays the mesh.

Cheers
Jason

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 8:56 AM, John Jomo <john.jomo at tum.de> wrote:

> Hallo guys,
>
> have a bug using xdmf + hdf5 in Paraview that I cant seem to solve:
>
> I am trying to visualize my results from a finite element computation
> using xdmf and hdf5.
>
> The results consist of the geometry and topology of the mesh and different
> point and cell data.
> I store coordinates of 2 million points in one hdf5 dataset (X,Y,Z
> components) and the connectivity of the resulting 19 million cells (
> hexagonals and lines ) in a one dimensional hdf5 dataset.
>
> I use the following xdmf file to view the data in paraview
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE Xdmf SYSTEM "Xdmf.dtd" []>
> <Xdmf>
>         <Domain>
>                 <Grid GridType="Collection" CollectionType="Temporal">
>                         <Grid Name="element0" Type="Uniform">
>                                 <Time Type="Single" Value="0" />
>                                 <Geometry GeometryType="XYZ">
>                                         <DataStructure Dimensions="3
> 22078224" NumberType="Float" Presicion="8" Format="HDF" >
>
> SegmentedVertebra.h5:/points_0_0.000000
>                                         </DataStructure>
>                                 </Geometry>
>                                 <Topology Type="Mixed"
> NumberOfElements="19948716">
>                                         <DataStructure
> Dimensions="177553764 1" NumberType="Int64" Presicion="8" Format="HDF" >
>
> SegmentedVertebra.h5:/CellAndConnectivity_0_0.000000
>                                         </DataStructure>
>                                 </Topology>
>                                 <Attribute Name="Displacement"
> Center="Node" AttributeType="Vector">
>                                         <DataStructure Format="HDF"
> DataType="Float" Precision="8" Dimensions="3 22078224">
>
> SegmentedVertebra.h5:/Displacement_0_0.000000
>                                         </DataStructure>
>                                 </Attribute>
>                       </Grid>
>                 </Grid>
>         </Domain>
> </Xdmf>
>

> *Question:* For some strange reason the cell connectivity gets completely
> messed up, and I get a totaly wrong output in Paraview.
> I verified the content of the hdf5 file and all the points and cells are
> correct.
>
> The hdf5 is about 5 GB large.
>
> Does anyone know how the cause of this strange behaviour? I tried
> visualizing the content in visIT but got the same error.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> John.
>
> --
> John Jomo M.Sc.
> Technische Universität München
> Computation in Engineering
> Simulation in Applied Mechanics - SAM
> Arcisstraße 21
> 80333 München
> Tel.:     0049 / 89 / 289 25064
> Fax:      0049 / 89 / 289 25051
> E-Mail:   john.jomo at tum.de<mailto:john.jomo at tum.de> <john.jomo at tum.de>
> Internet: www.cie.bgu.tum.de<http://www.cie.bgu.tum.de/> <http://www.cie.bgu.tum.de/>

Dr. Jason G. Fleming
Chief Engineer, Seahorse Coastal Consulting
3103 Mandy Ln
Morehead City, NC 28557
Tel: (252) 726-6323
Mobile: (252) 269-0962