[Paraview] Bug with Opacity

Neethling, Stephen s.neethling at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jun 17 11:22:35 EDT 2016

Version: Paraview 5.0.1

I have found a bug when rendering points with opacity. All the data for the render is stored in a single vtp file, but as this file is generated from the raw data outputted by my simulator, the points are ordered based on the processor with outputted the data. This has resulted in artefacts associated with the boundaries between the processor regions. When I take the identical data, but randomise the order of the points the artefacts disappear, which means that is not due the underlying data. In the attached image the LHS picture has the points randomised in terms of their order and on the LHS it is ordered based on the processors that created it (otherwise exactly the same number of points containing exactly the same set of data). The opacity in these plots was set to 0.05.

I can't easily attach the input files as altogether they are nearly a Gigabyte is size (images each contain a few million points), but can upload them if required.

Regards,
Stephen

Prof Stephen Neethling
Professor in Minerals Processing