[Paraview] syntax for "global variables" for a dataset

Dean Neumann dwneumann at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 13:38:00 EDT 2016

I have seen references to the following statement in a Paraview tutorial
from University of Houston:
"Data sets sometimes capture information in “global" variables that apply
to an entire dataset rather than a single point or cell."

If this is indeed true can someone please share example syntax of how one
would manually specify a set of global variables in a .pvd or .vtu xml file
(not programmatically via a VTK function call)  that are not contained
within an enclosing PointData or CellData element.
(I am not talking about GlobalNodeIDs or GlobalElementIDs but rather to
field data that apply to all points and arrays of an entire dataset).
I am aware of the "Plot Global Variables Over Time" filter but that seems
to apply to field values that persist over many timesteps, not field data
that are common to all points and cells.

many thanks....
Dean Neumann
Malaspina Labs Inc.
www.malaspina-labs.com