[Paraview] VTK XML Unstructured Grid format

Armin Wehrfritz dkxls23 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 13:56:38 EDT 2016

Hi Chris,

a unstructured grid (without polyhedral cells) is described by three arrays:
1) connectivity: An array storing the point ids of the unique points of
                  all cells.
2) offsets: An array indicating the end position of each cell in the
             connectivity array.
3) types: An array storing the types of each cell.

Regarding your example, from the "types" and "offsets" arrays you can
deduct that you have 4 cells of type "12", i.e. hexahedrons (see [1]).
Now, the offsets array tells you that the first 8 numbers in the
connectivity array are the point ids for the first cell, second number
tells you that the point ids from 9 to 16 are for the second cell and so on.
The line breaks in the connectivity array have no meaning.

HTH,
Armin

[1]
https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/blob/master/Common/DataModel/vtkCellType.h