[Paraview] Parallel rendering including transparency

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Wed Apr 27 09:33:25 EDT 2016

Kai,

I'm not sure if this will help, but take a look at

http://www.paraview.org/gitweb?p=ParaView.git;a=blob;f=ParaViewCore/VTKExtensions/Testing/TestIceTCompositePass.cxx;h=9580e8642909eddef3de619dc9286cf9a0fa0a19;hb=HEAD

for some possible clues. You might need to add a vtkDepthPeelingPass,
for example.

HTH,
Cory

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 6:48 AM, Kai Winter <kaiwinter212 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please, does anybody have a clue, how to correctly render transparent
> objects in parallel?
>
> I attach the modified version of
> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/MultiPass_Rendering_With_IceT and screenshots of
> the render windows for MPI rank 0,1,2 (from left to right), first with
> SetOpacity(1), second with SetOpacity(0.5). In the second case, you see the
> artifacts in the blue segment, and (worse) that rank 0 shows a black window
> instead of the composite image.
>
> Thank you
> Kai
>
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 5:41 PM, Kai Winter <kaiwinter212 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> is it possible to extend the example at
>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/MultiPass_Rendering_With_IceT for parallel
>> rendering including transparent objects?
>>
>> I have tried to modify the above example by first setting
>>   actor->GetProperty()->SetOpacity(0.3);
>> after creation of the actor, and, second, adding
>>   vtkSmartPointer<vtkTranslucentPass> translucent =
>> vtkSmartPointer<vtkTranslucentPass>::New();
>>   passes->AddItem(translucent);
>> after the original line "passes->AddItem(opaque);".
>>
>> The result is for example, when running with 3 MPI processes:
>> The sphere segments in the partial Renderers of process 1 and 2 are
>> transparent (but show some artefacts).
>> The composite Renderer of process 0 doesn't show any sphere, just the
>> black background!
>> When the opacity is set to 1, the sphere segments are composited in three
>> colors on process 0 as expected.
>>
>> What is required to correctly perform parallel rendering including
>> transparency?
>> (I am using ParaView-v5.0.1, compiled from source on Ubuntu 15.04)
>>
>> Thank you
>> Kai

Cory Quammen
R&D Engineer