[Paraview] Multi-tiled Distributed Display

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Sep 21 14:14:31 EDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 1:05 PM, andrew solis <andrewjsolis13 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sorry, I also probably should of mentioned that I am running CentOS on all
> of the systems.
>
> Thanks
> Andrew Solis
>
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 11:02 AM, andrew solis <andrewjsolis13 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>>      I'm trying to run Paraview using the vrpn plugin so that I can show
>> off Paraview on a distributed multi-tiled display, and I'm stuck on getting
>> it set up. The head machine is named stallion and there are 20 different
>> nodes that control 4 different screens horizontally that make up a 16x5
>> display. I'm trying to get Paraview to run on just one server machine as a
>> test and have been following the documentation on Immersiver Paraview found
>> at http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Immersive_ParaView. I've set up my pvx
>> file to be like so:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" ?>
>> <pvx>
>>
>>   <Process Type="client">
>>     <!-- Stallion Head Node -->
>>     <Machine Name="stallion"
>>              Environment="DISPLAY=:0"
>>              Geometry="1280x1000+0+0"
>>              ShowBorders="1" />
>>   </Process>

On everest at ornl we have different displays for each of the screens
controlled by a node.

>   <Process Type="server">
>>     <!-- Stallion distributed multi-tiled display -->
>>     <Machine Name="s01"
>>              Environment="DISPLAY=:0"
>>              FullScreen="1"
>>              ShowBorders="0" />
>>
>     <Machine Name="s01"
             Environment="DISPLAY=:0.1"
             FullScreen="1"
             ShowBorders="0" />
    <Machine Name="s01"
             Environment="DISPLAY=:0.2"
             FullScreen="1"
             ShowBorders="0" />
    <Machine Name="s01"
             Environment="DISPLAY=:0.3"
             FullScreen="1"
             ShowBorders="0" />
    <Machine Name="s02"
             Environment="DISPLAY=:0"
             FullScreen="1"
             ShowBorders="0" />

Then we mpiexec multiple processes per node.
mpiexec -hosts 8 s01 4 s02 4 pvserver -tdx=4 -tdy=1 tile.pvx

Then start the client and connect to the root node of the server (s01
presumably) through the connect dialog box.