[Paraview] Segfault in ParaView 4.4 RC2

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Mon Sep 14 10:05:33 EDT 2015

Hi Matthieu,

My hunch is that there is a problem with the OpenGL provided by VirtualBox
with 3D acceleration enabled. I have not found 3D acceleration to work well
with my Ubuntu 140.04 installation, so I just disable it.

Could you try disabling 3D acceleration and see if ParaView still crashes?

Thanks,
Cory

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Dorier, Matthieu <mdorier at anl.gov> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I compiled ParaView 4.4 RC 2 from sources on Debian (Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64,
> Debian 3.2.68-1+deb7u3 x86_64), in order to try Catalyst, but I got
> segmentation faults when Catalyst runs my python script. I initially
> thought something was wrong with my script but then I realized ParaView
> also creashes with the same segfault when I try to start it (I see the
> splashscreen, and the interface appears, but then it immediately crashes).
> The error reported is:
>
> *** glibc detected ***
> /home/mdorier/local/paraview/lib/paraview-4.4/paraview: munmap_chunk():
> invalid pointer: 0x00000000048e4970 ***
>
> And a backtrace follows (which I attach. I wanted to get more info using
> the core dump but ParaView doesn't seem to have been compiled with -g so
> there is no other info).
>
> Here is how I installed ParaView:
>
> My compiler is gcc 4.7.2. MPI is Mpich 3.1.3.
>
> I (apt-get) installed the packages:
>
> libphonon-dev libphonon4 qt4-dev-tools libqt4-core libqt4-gui qt4-qmake
> libxt-dev g++ gcc cmake-curses-gui libqt4-opengl-dev mesa-common-dev
> python-dev
>
> I then configured ParaView using ccmake; I attach the resulting
> CMakeCache.txt. Basically Catalyst and Python are turned ON, MPI as well,
> rendering backend is set to OpenGL.
>
> I'm running on a virtual machine using VirtualBox, 3d acceleration is
> enabled, and
> glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
> returns
> OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 INTEL-10.6.31)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matthieu

Cory Quammen
R&D Engineer