[Paraview] Segfault in ParaView 4.4 RC2

Dorier, Matthieu mdorier at anl.gov
Mon Sep 14 09:51:25 EDT 2015

Hi,

I compiled ParaView 4.4 RC 2 from sources on Debian (Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64, Debian 3.2.68-1+deb7u3 x86_64), in order to try Catalyst, but I got segmentation faults when Catalyst runs my python script. I initially thought something was wrong with my script but then I realized ParaView also creashes with the same segfault when I try to start it (I see the splashscreen, and the interface appears, but then it immediately crashes). The error reported is:

*** glibc detected *** /home/mdorier/local/paraview/lib/paraview-4.4/paraview: munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0x00000000048e4970 ***

And a backtrace follows (which I attach. I wanted to get more info using the core dump but ParaView doesn't seem to have been compiled with -g so there is no other info).

Here is how I installed ParaView:

My compiler is gcc 4.7.2. MPI is Mpich 3.1.3.

I (apt-get) installed the packages:

libphonon-dev libphonon4 qt4-dev-tools libqt4-core libqt4-gui qt4-qmake libxt-dev g++ gcc cmake-curses-gui libqt4-opengl-dev mesa-common-dev python-dev

I then configured ParaView using ccmake; I attach the resulting CMakeCache.txt. Basically Catalyst and Python are turned ON, MPI as well, rendering backend is set to OpenGL.

I'm running on a virtual machine using VirtualBox, 3d acceleration is enabled, and
glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
returns
OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 INTEL-10.6.31)

Thanks,

Matthieu