[Paraview] Some questions about Catalyst Live Visualization

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Sat Oct 31 09:17:50 EDT 2015

Hi Adam,

In my opinion it is a bug. My thinking is this, if there's no Catalyst work
to do then the performance penalty for using Catalyst should be negligible.
The VTK grid should only be generated if there's Catalyst work to do (this
will usually be quite fast but certainly may not be negligible) and if
there aren't any outputs (e.g. images, data extracts or to Catalyst Live
via a connected client) then RequestDataDescription() should return that
there's no work to do so that no cycles are wasted generating the VTK
object. If you don't mind wasting cycles, I can always have you compute
some bitcoins for me instead :)

Additionally, all of this should be automated (and can be) such that it
just works for users without having to modify the Python scripts for
something as simple as this.

Best regards,
Andy