[Paraview] Some questions about Catalyst Live Visualization

Dan Lipsa dan.lipsa at kitware.com
Fri Oct 30 13:47:36 EDT 2015

Hi Adam,

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Adam Lyon <lyon at fnal.gov> wrote:

> I'd like this code to only run if a ParaView client is actually connected
> (because if there's no client connected then it's making VTK objects that
> no human is looking at, so it's wasting time). So I'd like to know if
> there's a way that my code could ask the adapter if a client is connected.
> I hope I explained that better - let me know if not.

Live was added as a way to support catalyst processing: the user can
examine down-sampled data produced by the simulation but also modify the
processing pipeline while the simulation is running. The processing
pipeline is mainly used to save data/images from the simulation. So I don't
think we considered your use case. Looking at the code it does not seem to
be a way to query if there is a connection to ParaView Live. I don't think
it would be too difficult to add it though.

Dan