[Paraview] change default color map

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Oct 29 10:51:31 EDT 2015

Nico,

I'm curious what color map you are planning to replace the "notorious" default with. Like one previous respondent, I am guessing you are thinking of using the map of rainbow colors.

If that is the case, I suggest thinking twice. Although those colors are attractive, they do a bad job representing data (and ParaView is all about accurately representing data). The problems with the rainbow color map are well documented, but one good paper that clearly describes them is titled "Rainbow Color Map (Still) Considered Harmful" by Borland and Taylor. A simple Google search will help you find it. There have also since been perceptual studies comparing the rainbow map to the default in ParaView, and ParaView's default cool-warm significantly outperforms.

-Ken

Sent from my iPad so blame autocorrect.