[Paraview] How I can define PYTHONPATH for Paraview/Tools/Python Shell

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Fri Oct 16 16:48:09 EDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 4:20 PM, Adrian Martinez Vargas <
adriangeologo at yahoo.es> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have try unsuccessfully to load modules from an existing Anaconda
> distribution, hosted in /home/user/anaconda, from the Python Shell existing
> in Paraview/Tools. I'm using Paraview 4.4 in Ubuntu15. Using the command
> (in a system shell) $export PYTHONPATH =
> /home/user/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH didn't work.

Did you download or build ParaView? You probably need to build ParaView
against the Python in the Anaconda distribution to make this work. That's a
guess - I haven't tried this.

> In addition I would like to understand the logic of the python shell in
> paraview. Is that python embedded or it calls pvpython? There is any way to
> pass argument and to define path? There is any way to trick this, for
> example to use Ipython

The Python interpreter in ParaView is embedded. You should be able to add
to the path using

sys.path.append('/file/path')

HTH,
Cory

Thank you for your help and kind regards
> Adrian

Cory Quammen
R&D Engineer
Kitware, Inc.