[Paraview] Bug in 4.2 and above

David Ortley djortley at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 13:51:54 EST 2015

All,

I've found a problem in Paraview that seems to be in every version from 4.2
to current (4.4) which involves the selecting and exporting of points as
.csv files.  This problem doesn't appear in version 4.1, and I don't recall
it appearing in versions prior, but I've not tested that fully.

I've also only tested the problem out with moderate sized data sets (around
10k or more points) and only on a Mac Pro (with 64 Gigs of Ram).

To test the problem, I used the following R script will create a file named
'break.csv' (though this seems to be a problem with any large set of
points) :

#!/usr/bin/env Rscript
# cols x,y,z are position
# col r is radius, col n is an index number
df=data.frame(x=rnorm(10000),y=rnorm(10000),z=rnorm(10000),n=seq(10000))
df$r=sqrt(df$x**2 + df$y**2 + df$z**2)
write.csv(df, 'break.csv', row.names=F, quote=F)

Load the file in Paraview, then add 'Table To Points', assigning X,Y and Z
appropriately.
Enable the 'Table To Points' filter in the 3D view and use the 'Select
points through (g)' button on the 3D view to select about half of the
points.

In the Spreadsheet view, make sure the 'TableToPoints*' filter is selected
and click the 'Show only selected elements'.

With the Spreadsheet view still active:
File -> Export Scene...
and save the file as a .CSV.

If you load the newly saved .CSV file and apply 'Table To Points' to
Points:0, Points:1 and Points:2, the data is a mess (you may have to reset
your view to see some of the mess.)

Is anybody else able to reproduce this?  If so, is there already an open
ticket somewhere, or does a bug report need to be written?

-David Ortley.