[Paraview] trying to achieve odd symmetry reflection where axis is inside original domain

Noah Reddell reddell at uw.edu
Mon Nov 2 11:30:07 EST 2015

Hi Cory,

   Thanks for your interest.  I can answer your two questions pretty
compactly.

*> Could you describe the glitches? I couldn't understand them from just
the images you attached.*
The scalar variable EM_field_n_c4 in the referenced .VTS file is the
analytic function: *tanh(-x/4.082)*.
The resulting odd symmetry reflection about x=0 should achieve the same
function.  The function is smooth.
I suspect the glitches come from the two nodes left of x=0 in my original
data.  I speculate that the Reflect filter is reflecting those as well.
Actually, I'm pretty sure I observed as much yesterday when not using the
option to copy the original data.  This means some kind of funny overlap
occurs between the before and after reflection data.

*> what do you expect to see at x=0 if your original data doesn't have
anything at x = 0?*
My preference would be to have no new nodes created along x=0.  I have
nodes at x= { 0-d2,  0-d1,  0+d1, 0+d2, 0+d3, 0+d4, ... }.
One way to look at the problem would be to reflect nodes {0+d3,0+d4,...}
about x=0 because the the existing two nodes {0-d2, 0-d1} are already
correct.
Another way to look it it is to discard existing nodes {0-d2, 0-d1} and
reflect what remains about x=0.
In both cases, reflect with possible negative scaling!
I don't care if a new node is created at x=0 which would be the average
value of nodes {0-d1, 0+d1}.  But Paraview linear interpolation already
does this for presentation purposes and it would not be strictly correct
for the underlying polynomial element.

Best Regards,

Noah Reddell