[Paraview] trying to achieve odd symmetry reflection where axis is inside original domain

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Mon Nov 2 10:42:37 EST 2015

Hi Noah,

See answers and questions for you inlined below.

> 1)  My original data extends beyond the x=0 symmetry plane by two data
> points.  And I have no data point on x=0 itself.  This is because in the
> simulation, there is a third-order polynomial element centered on x=0.

What would you like to see on x=0?

> 2)  My data is represented as Structured Curvilinear Grid (.VTS files)
> though in actuality, it is rectilinear.

Shouldn't be a problem.

> 3)  Some data arrays have odd symmetry, such that f(x<0) = -f(x>0)

The Reflect filter doesn't support this, but you obviously know that.

> Here’s what I’ve tried.
> A) Use the Reflect filter, reflect about x=0.  Works quite well for even
> symmetry data, but the odd-symmetry data is misrepresented with opposite
> sign for (x<0).  Also, there are glitches with the doubled-up mesh points
> about x=0.  That becomes obvious when I tried to add a calculator to
> correct the odd symmetry based on (x<0) boolean expression.

Could you describe the glitches? I couldn't understand them from just the
images you attached.

> B) Manually select data points with (x>0); Extract Selection; Reflect that
> extraction; Group original and new selection.  Problem:  I end up with a
> band of missing data for the cell centered on x=0.

Again, what do you expect to see at x=0 if your original data doesn't have
anything at x = 0?

Thanks,
Cory

> Ideally, I want to end up with a consistent full-domain representation
> such that I can perform stream line traces across the x=0 mid-plane.
>
> I’d be very grateful if anyone could point out a working solution.
> Here’s one of my data files and some screenshots of my failed attempts.  (
> The scalar data item EM_field_n_c4 is a good odd-symmetry example. )
>
> VTS data file 800 kB
> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54478577/supporting%20forum%20posts/paraview_odd_symmetry_help/harris_current_sheet_equilibreum_2.vts>
>
> Existing Curvilinear Mesh representation
> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54478577/supporting%20forum%20posts/paraview_odd_symmetry_help/By.jpg>
>
> ProblemA demonstration of missing band about x=0
> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54478577/supporting%20forum%20posts/paraview_odd_symmetry_help/missingband.jpg>
>
> ProblemB demonstration of glitch at centerline
> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54478577/supporting%20forum%20posts/paraview_odd_symmetry_help/glitch_at_centerline.jpg>
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Noah Reddell
> University of Washington