[Paraview] ParaView 4.3.1 client runs X out of memory

Jeff Becker jeffrey.c.becker at nasa.gov
Thu May 21 16:54:05 EDT 2015

Hi. I created a VTK unstructured grid (.vtu) file for a 500 by 500 by
500 point data set. In order to visualize it, I fire up 8 pvservers on
my GPU multicore backend node using:

  mpirun -np 8 pvserver --client-host=XXX --use-offscreen-rendering

and connect to the root server from my ParaView client. I then open my
vtu file and hit apply, I can see the file gets read in, and then
nothing much else happens except X on my client grows to fill all of
memory, and my client system (my desktop) becomes unusable. I'm guessing
that the client is getting overwhelmed with X requests.

What am I doing wrong, and how to fix?

Thanks.

-jeff