[Paraview] Troubles with exporting selection labels from current ParaView render view

Nenad Vujicic nenadus at gmail.com
Wed May 13 08:21:38 EDT 2015

Hello everyone,

It has been a long time ParaView sources worked excellent with my
patches and the plugin (3D exporter). However, I'm having troubles
with the latest version (v4.3.1) to export labels which are shown over
selected points (both per point and per cell). This was my approach
which worked with v4.0.1 (100% sure) and v4.2 (I think, but, I'm not
definitely sure):

1. I traverse all visible pipeline sources and for all their
representations in currently active view do next,
2. For every representation, I check if it is DataLabelRepresentation
and if it is I save PointLabelVisibility, PointFieldDataArrayName, etc
properties ..
3. From other representations, I get vtkLODActor for which I bind my
labels properties,
4. In exporting code, I get current view, traverse its actors and
export them, however, there is one problem now. Let me give an
example:

    - If I have Sphere on which I applied Elevation filter and
selected several points with turned on labels (with e.g. Elevation
selected as array),

    - Strange 1: I don't have anymore instance in
DataLabelRepresentation for Elevation pipeline source (btw, during
this traversing I get only one actor),
    - Strange 2: When I traverse vtkRenderer's actors, I get 2 actors
(sphere mesh and actor with selected points), but, I'm unable to
connect selection label properties (which are tied with Elevation
pipeline source actor - sphere mesh) and mesh with selected points /
cells.

Q1: How to identify actor from vtkRenderer which contains selection
points / cells and get selection properties from this actor or

Q2: How to identify actor from pqPipeline source on which are selected
points and how from appropriate representations to get actor which
contains selected points / cells?

Thanks everyone for possible answers!

Nenad.