[Paraview] to be sure about used hardware ...

Armin Wehrfritz dkxls23 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 07:22:58 EDT 2015

On 05/12/2015 09:58 PM, u.utku.turuncoglu at be.itu.edu.tr wrote:
> Okay. That makes sense because i have a Threshold filter in my
> visualisation pipeline. If i use wavelet source then i could see the
> "Volume Rendering Mode" and it is set as "Smart". So, using Threshold
> filter might also reduce the performance of the volume rendering. Right?
Yes, the performance is severely impaired when you apply the threshold
filer to a structured dataset, since it produces an unstructured dataset.
To my understand you don't get a true volume rendering for unstructured
dataset, but maybe somebody who knows more about the details can comment
on this.

However, since you have already a structured dataset to begin with, you
should be able to get a decent performance. As I said, I can render a
64M structured dataset (i.e. a 400x400x400 wavelet source) instantly on
my laptop. So your 8M dataset should be no problem, just don't use the
threshold filter.

If you want to work only on a subset of your dataset, you can use the
"Extract Subset" filter, which outputs a structured dataset again.
Otherwise you can achieve similar effects as with the threshold filter
by adjusting the transfer function/color scale for the volume rendering.

-Armin