[Paraview] [Paraview-developers] 3d surface roughness measurement

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon May 4 15:27:55 EDT 2015

(Responding back to the ParaView user's list, which is more appropriate
than the developer's list.)

The documentation for the mathematical operation done by the curvature
operation is given here:

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkCurvatures.html#details

You can also get more general descriptions of Gaussian curvature and mean
curvature estimation from various sources. Here is a description on
Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curvature#Curvature_of_surfaces

If I am reading the documentation correctly, the Gaussian curvature is
giving you the bend of the surface in radians per distance squared, and
the mean curvature is giving you the bend in radians per distance.

Playing with the filter a bit, I notice that it is prone to give you
unreasonably high values (in the positive or negative direction) for
places where the surface is pinched or you have poorly shaped triangles in
the mesh.

-Ken