[Paraview] Resolution bug: screenshot of 'Line Chart View' and screenshot/animation with layouts

jkneppe2 at uni-koeln.de jkneppe2 at uni-koeln.de
Tue Mar 31 12:25:04 EDT 2015

Dear ParaView users and developers,

I encounter two issues with ParaView while exporting my results as screenshots
or animations.

I execute pvserver on a Linux server and remote connect to this with
an instance
of ParaView running on a Windows-7-x64 system. The version I use is
4.3.1-64bit,
precompiled for Linux (server) and Windows.

Issue 1)
Whenever I use more than one layout and save an animation, ParaView doesn't
properly place the 'views' in the video. Furthermore it stores the video in a
wrong resolution. E.g.:
I specified 1920x1080 as the resolution to use and it saved a 2328x1220 video.
Note 1: This also happens when there is only one 'view' in the layout, so it
seems to be a problem with using more than one layout.
Note 2: This issue does not occur if I export a screenshot.

Issue 2)
Whenever I export a screenshot of a layout, that contains a 'Line Chart View',
I can only use the predefined resolution (or a lower one). If I
specify a larger
resolution, white bars (forming a cross) are placed on the 'Line Chart View'.
Those white bars do not cover the axes and labels but the plotted graph and
the grid. The same happens when saving an animation.
Note: I have only used one method for plotting. In case this is part of the
problem, I will now describe this method:
For each time step I have a 'Point Array' describing displacement vectors for
an object. I used the 'Calculator' to compute the magnitude of the
displacements. Next I used the 'Descriptive Statistics' filter to compute the
minimum, mean and maximum. I selected the appropriate row in the
'Spread Sheet View' and used the 'Plot Selection over Time' filter.
(This leads to an error message, since ParaView will try to plot unplottable
information. One can deselect columns which can not be plotted after the
filter has been applied. Then the error message won't reappear.
However I don't
know how to prevent this from happening in the first place.)

Best regards,

Jascha Knepper