[Paraview] IMPORTANT-Particles+HPC

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Mar 23 13:21:40 EDT 2015

That clarifies things, but I'm not sure how much I can help you.

First, you just asked how ParaView will interpret this file. ParaView will read this as an "image" that is a regular 2D grid of data. It will show the data pretty much the same as the image below. (The colors will be different, but the meaning will be the same.)

If you want to look at a single grain at a time, you can do that fairly easily with what is available in ParaView. You can either use the Threshold filter to extract a grain with a particular ID. Better yet, you can use the Find Data feature to select all "cells" that belong to a particular grain. That will help you locate a grain in the image, where you can zoom in and manually peek at neighboring grains.

Beyond that, you might need to design your own analysis algorithms. At this point, I'm not sure what you want to see. From an image processing point of view, your data is already classified since there is a unique identifier for each grain. You could write a custom operation to identify all neighbors of all grains, but I'm not sure what you do with it after that.

-Ken