[Paraview] Repeating a Visualization in Several Data Sets

Salomon Turgman Cohen sturgman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 11:52:19 EDT 2015

Dear All,

I suspect this question has been answered many times in this forum but I
had trouble finding the answer. Say I have generated several data sets from
a transient (multiple-time step) multiphysics simulation. Each one of my
data sets if of exactly the same geometry but it may vary in the parameters
and the number of time steps. I open one of these data sets (they are
obtained from Elmer and are in the form of vtu files), set up a filter
pipeline, and a number of visuals in paraview. Now I want to repeat the
same steps on all the data sets but everything I have tried fails in some
way.

The pipeline consists of a "slice" of the data and three "Probe Location"
filters each one with a "plot selection over time" filter for the line
plots (if there is a better way to plot a local scalar quantity over time
please let me know)

Here is what I have found so far:

1. Save the state. Saving the state gets most of what I want done with one
exception. Upon loading a state file I get asked to fix the path to the
data file and this is how I change the data set that I am probing. However,
if the data sets have a larger number of steps than the original saved one,
I cannot see the rendering of the extra steps in paraview. For example, if
I'm trying to see timestep 100 paraview only shows the last timestep in the
original simulation (59). This one may or may not be an actual bug in
paraview.

2. Create a custom filter. I have managed to do this with the three probes
and their plots over time. The problem is that all the details about the
variables plotted, legend name, and color of the line plots are lost. This
made me suspect that this is not the functionality I am looking for or that
I am not doing it correctly.

3. The final approach I tried is to start a trace before doing all the
manipulations and then running that trace as a script or as a macro. When I
run it from the python shell I get the following traceback:
"Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<string>", line 541, in <module>

File "C:\Users\sturgmancohen\paraview\ParaView 4.3.1\lib\paraview
-4.3\site-packages\paraview\servermanager.py", line 305, in __setattr__

setter(self, value)

File "C:\Users\sturgmancohen\paraview\ParaView 4.3.1\lib\paraview
-4.3\site-packages\paraview\servermanager.py", line 2474, in setProperty

return self.SetPropertyWithName(propName, value)

File "C:\Users\sturgmancohen\paraview\ParaView 4.3.1\lib\paraview
-4.3\site-packages\paraview\servermanager.py", line 360, in
SetPropertyWithName

prop.SetData(arg)

File "C:\Users\sturgmancohen\paraview\ParaView 4.3.1\lib\paraview
-4.3\site-packages\paraview\servermanager.py", line 788, in SetData

raise RuntimeError("This property requires %d values." %
self.GetNumberOfElements())

RuntimeError: This property requires 0 values."

And when I run it as a Macro, it does not reach the final state of the
intended visualization. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Salomon

--