[Paraview] Paraview + Google Cardboard = 3D immersive data visualization

Biplab Dutta biplabdutta27 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 02:46:18 EDT 2015

Hi,

I was wondering if one could use Google Cardboard along with a smartphone
to do data visualization.

I achieved this 3d stereoscopic visualization indirectly. I made an
improved version of the cardboard myself which I call DOLLY VR. I start the
paraview in stereo-type="SplitViewportHorizontal" on my desktop equipped
with 3D monitor and Quadro4000 graphics card. I share the screen of my
monitor using teamviewer on my smartphone. I then align the shared screen
with divider on the VR. I can now see stereoscopic 3d on my DOLLY VR and
navigate the data with the help of mouse.

This process, I guess, can be simplified and made more direct using
kiwiviewer to do the screen sharing and attaching the camera movement with
the clicking of the magnetic trigger on the viewer so that one can fly
inside the data and on another click can stop and look around as one can do
it in Google earth demo in Google cardboard App.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions about the idea.

Thanks and regards,
Biplab Dutta
Department of Physics,
IIT Kanpur, India