[Paraview] Earthquake beachball in 3D

Lester Anderson arctica1963 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 09:54:29 EDT 2015

Hello,

I found a script based on the thesis work of Christoph Moder (2006) that
was plotting focal mechanism solutions via a Gawk and VTK route.

Now, I have managed to get a single solution plotted but not a multiple
suite of solutions from a file. Whether the script is not writing the VTK
properly or some other issue, I do not know.

This is not a perfect solution for this work but is a start.

The input is:
Longitude Latitude Depth Magnitude Strike Dip Rake

sinlgle plot data: 120.07 -7.37 623 6.4 233 38 -96 61 53 -85

Two solutions:
120.07 -7.37 623 6.4 233 38 -96 61 53 -85
121.69 -8.47 39 6.0  68 36 83 257 54 95

The only issue I see with the VTK import in ParaView is that there are no
coordinates stored (Long, Lat) so it does not seem possible to position it
spatially in a georeferenced view.

Data can be retrieved from www.globalcmt.org

Cheers
Lester